Friday, April 13, 2012

My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers #1) by Rachel Vincent









She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.



Where to find more info:
Goodreads:  http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6315602-my-soul-to-take
Rachel Vincent: http://rachelvincent.com/


Shelley's Review

This is one of those series that all of your friends boast about, but you never get around to buying. Well, for me, anyway. And then, the ever generous, Rachel Clarke aka Fiktshun, ran a giveaway for the entire series. I took a chance and entered and... WOOHOO! I WON! So yes, super excited! And then, well...they sat in my TBR for months after. Rachel, to the rescue again, set up the Soul Screamers Reading Challenge, and I had no more excuses other than prior obligations. So finally, I'm with the in crowd and here's my first Soul Screamers review...
Honestly, I don't know where to begin with this review. Did I enjoy the book? Yes. Was I blown away? No. But when a series generates as much hype as the Soul Screamers series has, you tend to set your expectations high. AND when all you read is paranormal romance, for the most part, it's hard to be surprised. Hard, but not impossible. So, here goes...I've always loved folklore. Anything with the fae, witches and points in between. Banshees are most often portrayed as terrifying beings. Not your seemingly average, everyday teen. Enter Kaylee Cavanaugh. She is such a relatable character. Smart, snarky, unaware of her own awesomeness and her "gift". Rachel's take on banshees is completely unique and as the story progresses, only gets more interesting. There are sides to this world you don't normally hear about. And that only makes it more fascinating. I'm not giving anything away to anyone new to the series, so I won't explain or elaborate on that comment, for now. Suffice to say, it's exciting and complicated and more than a bit dark. As is Kaylee's struggle to survive normal teenage drama. Throw in family dynamics, which carry over to her school life courtesy of her cousin and uncooperative housemate; Sophie, her popular but uber cool best friend and the coolest, hottest boy in said school...well, now ya got yourself a pretty compelling read.
There are many twists and turns, as should be expected, but several really surprised, if not shocked me. So many things happen to Kaylee, Nash, Tod (oh, I didn't mention Tod? Ha!), Emma AND Sophie, at times your mind is reeling (right along with Kaylee's), and you find yourself yelling, "no freaking way" and/or "OMG! Rachel did not just do that", to the point of experiencing your own panic attacks and fits of rage when Kaylee is challenged or mistreated. Those OMG moments involve everyone from Kaylee's entire family; Sophie included, as well as Emma and literally the whole damn school...and Nash and Tod. Nash and Tod? Well, those boys have a few surprises of their own. There are so many secrets revealed and so many more to uncover.
My Soul to Take has an incredible cast of characters, mostly likeable, with bold personalities and despite everything thrown at them, a wonderful camaraderie and true compassion for one another.  I look forward to continuing the series and seeing just how far Rachel takes the crew.
Maybe I am a little blown away after all.
 




=FLAMING HOT

No comments:

Post a Comment