Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Wander Dust by Michelle Warren


Ever since her sixteenth birthday, strange things keep happening to Seraphina Parrish. 


The Lady in Black… burns Sera’s memories. 

Unexplainable Premonitions… catapult her to other cities. 

The Grungy Gang… wants to kill her. 

And a beautiful, mysterious boy… stalks her. 

But when Sera moves to Chicago, and her aunt reveals their family connection to a centuries old, secret society, she is immediately thrust into an unbelievable fantasy world, leading her on a quest to unravel the mysteries that plague her. In the end, their meanings crash into an epic struggle of loyalty and betrayal, and she’ll be forced to choose between the boy who has stolen her heart and the thing she desires most. 

Wander Dust is the breathtaking fantasy that will catapult you through a story of time, adventure, and love.

Where to get more info:

Michelle Warren: http://wanderdusttrilogy.com/


Shelley's Review
Wander Dust is one of those stories that didn't grab me and demand my attention or make me instantly fall in love with the characters. I struggled to relate to Sera. She was too spontaneous and irrational to warrant my sympathy, in the beginning. I also had to re-read passages trying to wrap my brain around the physics of time travel. We'll chalk that one up to my inability to comprehend the science behind it all in the first place. But for that reason, the story didn't flow for me and made it difficult to connect with any of the characters. Which wasn't fair to the characters. They're quite interesting, especially Bishop and Perpetua. Sam has a very cool Riley Bloom... prepubescent-snarky-I know more than you do-and you are so not cool, and guarded personality. She may be my favorite character thus far.
It wasn't until I was nearly halfway through, that I resigned myself to never really understanding the logistics of wandering, and with that behind me, I began to enjoy the mystery, the descriptions of the various places they travel and the dynamics of the very complicated friendships and alliances. Complicated because of their unusual circumstances. The relationships build slowly, appropriately. In a new life, it's hard to know who to trust, and Sera doesn't really trust anyone. Sometimes this goes in her favor. She takes her time getting to know her fellow classmates and closely observes everyone around her. Where it fails her is in not heeding the advice of those that have been "around" longer.  I mentioned her lack of impulse control... Work smarter not harder, as they say. She does learn pretty quickly from her mistakes and definitely grows throughout the story, though Sera hasn't completely grown on me yet. I do have to say I've grown fond of the swoon worthy Bishop. What is it about the British boys? He's gentlemanly, genuine and always there for Sera as a friend, protector and oft times, rescuer. I look forward to learning even more about him...and his family. As well as Sam and hers.
Others in the story are left a mystery for some time...this isn't a bad thing...it was necessary to drive the plot line and carry us through to the sequel. So much happens in the last half of the book. We learn more about everyone at the Academy, Sera's mother, her aunt Mona and the frightening(?) Terease and the forces outside of the Academy but very much a part of the Wanderer world like the Grungy gang.
For as much as I struggled in the beginning, I found I really enjoyed Wander Dust as a whole and I'm eager to see how far Sera's team will go to find Sera's mother and stop the Academy's enemies. And of course to see if anything comes of her and Bishop's growing closeness.
So my conclusion? Wander Dust is a great start to an intriguing trilogy, sure to hold more mystery, romance and thrilling travels toward destinies not yet defined. 



Kathryn's Review 
WOW!  Where do I begin?  My first sentiments?  I think about the movie Jumper...I truly love the concept and was highly intrigued through the whole book.  The idea of wanderers and their teams to be able to complete their time travel journey is unique and exciting.
We are first introduced to Sera and she tells us of her troubled life b/c she has a father that doesn't pay enough attention to her and she desires so much more from him..So, instead of getting things to work right, her father decides that maybe it would be a good idea to live with her aunt.  With this event, everything changes in her life.  Sera finds out about herself being a wanderer.  She finds out about her team of Sam and Bishop....and lets just say that meeting Bishop was a real highlight to this book. :)
With a creative world building and interesting characters that provide suspense with twists and turns that will leave you shocked and guessing what is going to happen next.
Definitely recommend that you pick up this book!!


We both give Wander Dust:



=FLAMING HOT

No comments:

Post a Comment