Wednesday, January 30, 2013

2013 DAC (Debut Author Challenge)


So as you may have heard, Kathryn and I signed up for the 2013 Debut Author Challenge hosted by Tara of Hobbitsies.
With so many promising titles to choose from, I have to say my first pick was a doozy. As in, it was just what I was looking for.
Here's my review of Prophecy by Ellen Oh. I hope you enjoy it...

The greatest warrior in all of the Seven Kingdoms... is a girl with yellow eyes.

Kira’s the only female in the king’s army, and the prince’s bodyguard. She’s a demon slayer and an outcast, hated by nearly everyone in her home city of Hansong. And, she’s their only hope...
Murdered kings and discovered traitors point to a demon invasion, sending Kira on the run with the young prince. He may be the savior predicted in the Dragon King Prophecy, but the missing treasure of myth may be the true key. With only the guidance of the cryptic prophecy, Kira must battle demon soldiers, evil shaman, and the Demon Lord himself to find what was once lost and raise a prince into a king.
Intrigue and mystery, ancient lore and action-packed fantasy come together in this heart-stopping first book in a trilogy.




I have one word for this book- abso-freaking-lutely-fantastic!
Ellen Oh can count herself among the true raconteurs. She is an amazing storyteller.
A-MAZ-ING.

The world she's created in Prophecy has everything you could hope for in a fantasy.
A vast, mysterious and harsh landscape. [You have to check out the beautiful map at the beginning of the book.] A powerful and deadly enemy. An intriguing and endearing cast of characters.
AND a kick butt heroine who's much more than a warrior in her uncle, the king's army.

This story grabbed me and pulled me in head first. Held me hostage, made me a disciple, and carried me to places I never knew existed.
It was... outstanding. How is it possible that this is a debut novel? Ellen is a master.

Weaving history, a prophecy and a culture I'd not before explored, she transported me to a world I couldn't get enough of. I was enthralled. Completely mesmerized.
Kira is one of the most captivating heroines I've come across in a long, long time. Despite the prejudice of her people and her own self doubts, she is force of nature.
Known by all as the Demon Slayer with her exotic gold eyes, she is shunned, and yet called upon to do what others cannot.
Her gifts and talents make her one of a kind. Her heart and dedication make her fierce.

This is one heroine I can really and truly get behind. I LOVE everything about her.
From her strength as a warrior and protector to her unconditional love for her family and country. She is outstanding in every way.

But Kira is just one piece of this complicated puzzle. I also fell for her brother Kwan, another warrior in the Hansong army. Even though he knows his sister can handle herself better than most men, he is her confidant and greatest protector.
Her cousin Taejo, the young prince is so adorable and incredibly brave. He immediately stole my heart.
When they come across Jaewon, a handsome and mysterious boardsman, I fell in love once again. The amazing cast of characters doesn't end there. From her father, General Kang, the Hansong army's Captain Pak, to the enigmatic monks like Brother Woojin- these characters catapult us into another world where we're introduced to endless action and adventure, and some of the most touching, tragic AND magical moments, making Prophecy a remarkably exciting and memorable story for the ages.
Ellen Oh. Remember her name. Like Kira, she's made her mark and she's taking a stand.  



2 comments:

  1. I've wanted to read this book since its release date. Now that I've read your review, I WANT TO GO OUT AND BUY IT!

    Halee @ Confessions of a Book Addict

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Halee! I'm big fantasy fan and this definitely met my needs for a great adventure. I hope you love it as well. ~Shelley

      Delete