Friday, August 10, 2012

The Goddess Legacy (Goddess Test #2.5) by Aimee Carter

For millennia we've caught only glimpses of the lives and loves of the gods and goddesses on Olympus. Now Aimée Carter pulls back the curtain on how they became the powerful, petty, loving and dangerous immortals that Kate Winters knows. 

Calliope/Hera represented constancy and yet had a husband who never matched her faithfulness….

Ava/Aphrodite was the goddess of love and yet commitment was a totally different deal….

Persephone was urged to marry one man, yet longed for another….

James/Hermes loved to make trouble for others; but never knew true loss before….

Henry/Hades's solitary existence had grown too wearisome to continue. But meeting Kate Winters gave him a new hope….


Aimee Carter is a University of Michigan grad in which she received a degree in Screen Arts and Cultures with a subconcentration in Screenwriting. Aimee is represented by Rosemary Stimola of Stimola Literary Studio
Where to find more of Aimee:

Kathryn's Review of The Goddess Legacy 
ARC from Netgalley
Well, first, this book is an anthology of stories told from the perspective of different gods/goddesses from The Goddess Test series.  I gave my opinion on each one below and after that I will tell you about my reaction to the book as a whole.

Hera(Calliope)-- Well, I will say, reading her anthology was quite enlightening.  You really get a grasp at how she became who she is and how determined she is to destroy "the council".
Sad thing is, I don't blame her.  I felt ALL of her pain, hate, regret, and scornfulness.  But, I feel that she is truly blind.  She may be the goddess of marriage, yet she doesn't understand or see love shared between two people.  She is very self-centered and lost in her own ambitions.  It was all about pleasing her, not working on a relationship with both people coming together as one.  This has definitely opened my eyes to her role in the series... Also explains why I dislike her so much!!

Aphrodite(Ava)--Well, what can you say about the goddess of love?  Her story is definitely the one about a love triangle.  Shoot, she is probably the reason such a thing exists.  Torn between two brothers, two different types of love...truly the basics for what make great romance stories... But, when you see it through her eyes, through her heart, you gain a new understanding.  I really like Aphrodite. As her story was coming to an end, all I could think was I hope she gets what she wants!!

Persephone--Well, going in to Persephone's story, I was sure that I wasn't going to like her. While reading the other Goddess Test books, I always felt anger and dislike for her.  I know that is just from reading from a certain person's POV, but that was how I felt.  Now that I have read her story, a new light on her has been shone.  I really feel more sorry for her than anything.  Being forced to marry someone at age 16 and find that it goes against every grain in your body... Not being able to make your own choice on that matter either. I would probably feel exactly like her.  And it is so interesting too... Reading the Goddess Test, all you wanted was for Kate and Henry to be together.  Yet, with Persephone.. I couldn't stand the union.  I guess that falls to reading the other books first... But, anyway.. I was genuinely happy to see Persephone get her own happiness at the end. Good story to help me understand her better and not be so harsh on her.  I still don't like her...but, oh well!!

Hermes(Jack)--Ahhhhh... Hermes.. He plays a significant role throughout these books and his story really shows his character.  He's such a lively god and with everything that has happened in his life, you feel for him and hope for the best.  Hermes' story really touches on the whole reasoning for Goddess Test.  Learning about particular gods fading in to nothing and how this could actually be the fate of them all.  Hermes takes the task to find out why they are fading and in turn finds himself.  It is like he grows up when he meets the young girl Tuck.  She shows him so much in such a short time that with this new found info he is able to piece the puzzle together and explain what is happening and even suggest how to stop it.  Sad thing is, all this came at a high price for Hermes.  Losing a dear friend b/c of obligations... Great story and just more insight to these great characters!!!

Hades(Henry)-- I absolutely love Hades!  He is one of the most passionate guys and hearing from his POV about all he endured and will still endure to find the right Queen of the Underworld as well as a companion to be with him from here on, is rather heart wrenching.  No one should have to endure the suffering and loneliness that he has been dealt.  He is a loving guy with such a huge heart and knowing that Kate is his last chance at any type of happiness really beefs up the cheering for these two to work...

 So, as I finished The Goddess Legacy, I felt a whole new respect as well as anger toward many of the gods and goddesses of this series.  I was so compelled from reading this, that I immediately went back and re-read every book and novella AGAIN!!  I just couldn't read this anthology without revisiting this world that Aimee has created.  I have become so attached to Kate and Henry and all I want to see is their happiness. And reading The Goddess Legacy just strengthens my resolve on how much Henry deserves that HEA!!  It also shows that some gods and goddesses deserve to be tortured the rest of their immortal life, but I will let you read the series as well as this FANTASTIC book to make your own judgements!!!
Absolutely BRILLIANT!!  Aimee Carter has created a masterpiece that has become one of my favorite series.  A DEFINITE MUST READ!!!

I give The Goddess Legacy:

 

 =SCORCHER

No comments:

Post a Comment