Thursday, June 7, 2012

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

The demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace has been freed from her captivity. But when the Shadowhunters arrive to rescue him, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missing–but so is the boy she hates, Sebastian, the son of her father Valentine: a son determined to succeed where their father failed, and bring the Shadowhunters to their knees.

No magic the Clave can summon can locate either boy, but Jace cannot stay away—not from Clary. When they meet again Clary discovers the horror Lilith’s dying magic has wrought—Jace is no longer the boy she loved. He and Sebastian are now bound to each other, and Jace has become what he most feared: a true servant of Valentine’s evil. The Clave is determined to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. Will the Shadowhunters hesitate to kill one of their own?

Only a small band of Clary and Jace’s friends and family believe that Jace can still be saved — and that the fate of the Shadowhunters’ future may hinge on that salvation. They must defy the Clave and strike out on their own. Alec, Magnus, Simon and Isabelle must work together to save Jace: bargaining with the sinister Faerie Queen, contemplating deals with demons, and turning at last to the Iron Sisters, the reclusive and merciless weapons makers for the Shadowhunters, who tell them that no weapon on this earth can sever the bond between Sebastian and Jace. Their only chance of cutting Jace free is to challenge Heaven and Hell — a risk that could claim any, or all, of their lives.

And they must do it without Clary. For Clary has gone into the heart of darkness, to play a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing the game is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she even still trust him? Or is he truly lost? What price is too high to pay, even for love?

Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.


Where to find more info:
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8755776-city-of-lost-souls
Cassandra Clare: http://www.cassandraclare.com/
The Mortal Instruments: http://www.shadowhunters.com/mortalinstruments/

Kathryn's Review 
City of Lost Souls...
Now the 5th installment in the Mortal Instruments series, we are so deep in to the Shadowhunter world, that, as always, you are captivated all the way through the book....
In the beginning, CoLS moved slow for me, but around page 100, it picked up and WOW... You are thrown in to so much... With storyline of Alec and Magnus, Izzy and Simon, Jordan and Maia, and of course my favorite.... Jace and Clary...there is never a dull moment. You are hanging on the edge of a cliff with anticipation to find out what is going to happen to these characters that you have invested so much time in, that have become an intricate part of you life...
I have to say, I was in knots throughout most of the book and as I wanted to get to the end to ease my tension, I hated when I turned to the final page...
But, Cassie didn't leave us with a major cliffhanger this time.. Don't get me wrong, she definitely leaves you dying for the next installment, but at least we aren't pulling our hair out, knowing we have at least a year to wait...actually two years...ARGH!!! Anyway, I was surprised by some of the actions taken by some of the key players.  Heck, I was even rooting for the bad guy some, and holding my breath with scenes that emotionally ripped at me...
Needless to say, I loved this book... There are so many changes within this book, that even as I am writing this, I feel like I can't even truly express all that I feel for it...
The Mortal Instruments is such a great series.... One, in which, you fall in love with from book one and it never waivers...
Shelley's Review
I have a true love/hate relationship with Cassie. She has a gift for creating the most intense and frustrating relationships. A flare for the dramatic, whether it's a battle scene or a lovers spat, both are just as engaging, building your hopes and dreams...and squashing them just as quickly, making you fall in love, all over again...and more so, tearing your heart out, serving it to you on a platter and yet leaving you begging for more. It's the most beautiful torture. To say she creates suspense would be a gross understatement. I was on the edge of my seat, tightly clutching the pages (trying not to damage my beautiful book), hanging on every single word. I was completely captivated. And this installment isn't even my favorite. That's still #2.
Regardless, there were so many things I loved about CoLS. There's more Malec, more Jace of course, more Simon (he's always great, the most amazing friend)...and Jordan and Maia...more Sebastian, but one of the things (people) I enjoyed most was Isabelle. Izzy is just completely kick ass this time around. She is anyway, but here, she opens up so much more and lets us see inside her head and heart; fear, love and what really drives her and keeps her going. I like Clary, but Izzy is the one I relate to most. Her harsh exterior and obvious beauty are nothing compared to when she bares her soul and shows her gratitude. It's remarkable.
I spent much of the book worrying about Jace. Would he survive...would he ever be the same...and what would come of Sebastian...talk about a complicated character. I still hold hope he can be redeemed, or saved, whatever the case may be. Alec and Magnus are as unpredictable as ever. I was often angry and impatient with Alec and his reactions. You get so catch up in the emotions and all that's happening, you forget how young most of our beloved characters are and what a short span of time in which all of these events have taken place. So much pain, loss, destruction and love...there is always love...for friends, family and lovers. It is the constant light at the end of a very dark tunnel. The last ray of hope.
CoLS drew me in from the beginning and held me captive to the end. Leaving me wishing I could jump in and help my wonderful friends; comfort and console them, right their wrongs, and protect them in their never ending fight against evil and those that seek to destroy them.
It was hard to say goodbye, again. I will be in mourning for another...year...2014!!???!!! God, don't make us wait that long...PLEASE!?!! This book was a work of strong, addictive magic and I am already having withdrawals.

We both give City of Lost Souls

 

=SCORCHER

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy, that is one beautiful cover! Jace, Jace, Jace. It is making my heart yearn for CoLS! Thanks for posting this.

    Marlene Detierro (Indianapolis SEO)

    ReplyDelete